Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences started during 2005 in 25 acres of land, in the premises of Government Mc. Gann Hospital at Shimoga. The Institute located in Bangalore-Honnavara National high-way 206, The total floor area available, including College, Boys & Girls Hostels, Doctors quarters, about 34488 square meters. The Teaching Hospital of the Medical College, The Government Mc. Gann Hospital constructed by British Administrator during 1880 in 70 acres. During 1991-92 the new general hospital block with 367 beds capacity has been constructed, The floor area of the Government Mc. Gann Hospital available is 31340 sq. meters. The Institute is fully equipped Laboratories, Museums, Examination Hall, Auditorium, Lecture Halls, Library Gymnasium, Staff and Faculty.